I was actually really upset about turning the big two zero, I cried the morning of my 20th birthday. I’m not 100% sure why it seemed to upset and scare me so much, but it did, and after dealing with my new age for the last 10 days I’ve decided to put together some of my thoughts and realisations from the past two decades of my life.
1. velvet is always a good idea
Anyone who really knows me, knows that I love wearing velvet more than almost anything, which links to my second point,
2. if you love wearing something, wear it
It sounds so simple, but when I was younger it was hard sometimes for me to wear what I loved confidently, when they weren’t to everyone else’s taste.
3. disposable cameras are something I’ll always have on me
The most nostalgic way to capture moments, and the most special feeling when you get them developed, even if half the photos are complete shit.
4. let yourself feel every emotion you need to (it’s important)
5. but don’t hold onto negative emotions for too long
I always remember a quote from the five people you meet in heaven, “holding anger is a poison. it eats you from inside. we think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. but hatred is a curved blade. and the harm we do, we do to ourselves.”, which I read probably 5 or so years ago but has stuck with me through all this time.
6. indoor plants always make a space seem more homely
Get a little plant for your bedroom or wherever, and you’ll understand.
7. sometimes you have to force yourself to be creative
I seem to go through phases a lot where I feel completely uninspired, and sometimes to try and combat that, all I can do is to force it on myself a little. I used to draw a lot, and sadly I haven’t in much too long, but whenever I was feeling like I had no idea what to do to get myself feeling creative again, was to just make myself draw something, anything.
8. emerald jewellery will always be my thing
Emerald green and dark forest greens are my favourite shades of colour, so of course the jewellery that I love most has to contain emerald (or at least some other green stone), it just makes sense.
9. colour blocking outfits is a look and a half
Honestly, putting together an outfit made up of just one colour is one of my favourite things to do. Somehow it always seem to look so good, even when the pieces are super simple. Plus, this trend looks amazing dressed up or down so you can make it work however you want.
10. it’s okay not to know what you want to do with your life
All through school there seems to be this immense pressure to know what you want to do when you get out of, and now, going into my third year of being out of school I can say with confidence, that you have plenty of time to figure these things out, so don’t force yourself into making big decisions if you aren’t ready to.
11. don’t let people make you feel bad for spending money you earned on the things you want
I feel like it’s pretty common for people to make rude comments or judge people for spending more money on certain things than they personally would. I also feel like a lot of people like to look down on people for spending large amounts of money on material things. No, material things aren’t always forever, but the way that people like to shop and spend their money doesn’t make them shallow.
12. another thing people shouldn’t make you feel bad for: wanting to capture moments
Something I can’t stand is when people make you feel vain for taking photos of yourself, or as if you’re not living in the moment when you take photos or record what’s happening around you. While of course I think some things are not necessary to be documented, wanting to keep these memories forever is something really important to me.
13. you can never have too many jackets
14. wash your denim as little as possible
Trust me on this one, washing denim too much will only wear it out faster. Only wash your denim once you get it dirty or you’ve worn them so much they actually need to be cleaned.
15. don’t just tell people you love them, show them
words can be easy, so showing people you mean what you say is important.
16. vintage clothing is going to be one of my favourite things for the foreseeable future
17. surround yourself with people who make you happy
Sometimes you have to associate with people you’d rather not at school or work or whatever, but you do get a choice in who you spend your time with outside of that, so you should choose wisely.
18. I was born on april fools day and I doubt the joke will ever end
19. patience is a virtue
My mums aunty always used to say this to me, and I’ve never forgotten it. I think most importantly, try to be as patient as you can with other people, it’s hard to know what’s going on beyond what you see.
20. no rain, no roses
I got this saying tattooed on me last year. It’s my preferred way of saying no pain, no gain. You can’t ever have the good without having the bad come along with it, and vice versa, and that’s something I always try to remind myself when I’m feeling low.